Building and Contents Insurance

Building insurance

If you have a mortgage, your lender will insist that your property (and their security) is protected by buildings insurance. A buildings insurance policy will pay out if your property is damaged by fire, floods, or subsidence (although you’ll need to check whether you live on a flood plain). Damage to fixed fittings such as baths and kitchens are usually included too, as well as sheds, summerhouses, greenhouses, and garages.

If you purchase a leasehold property the freeholder may have arranged buildings insurance for the whole block, so you may not need your own buildings policy. That said, for the most part, buildings insurance is a crucial component in protecting your home in the event of a disaster. It is essential to ensure you understand every feature of a policy before deciding whether it’s the right one for your home.

Contents insurance

Contents insurance covers your household possessions against loss, damage, or theft. As a rule, “contents” refers to items that you would take with you if you were to move home. So this could include clothing, jewellery, kitchen appliances, furniture, artwork, and electrical goods.

Some policies cover you for items that you regularly take outside, for example cameras, jewellery and laptops. It is important to note that different policies offer various levels of cover, but generally you'll be covered against theft and fire, and have the option to insure against damage you may cause by accident.

It is always vital that you thoroughly read and understand the full policy terms and conditions. If not already covered by your content’s insurance, you may want to consider travel insurance for loss or damage to your personal belongings whilst travelling

Request a Call Back

Mandatory fields*
Subscribe to our newsletter

Send us your email address if you would like to receive our regular newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter